Sunday, October 11, 2009

Grandfather's funeral

Grandfather died in February of this year. It was a sad day for me, even though he was really stinkin old. We knew it would happen sometime, but it was still pretty sad. It also reminded me of Uncle Rob. I played my flute at the burial service, which I think he would of been happy about. I just starred at the ground the whole time while I played because I didn't want to look at someone cry because then it would make me cry. It was a good service though.
Here are some things I will always remember about him:

Coming home from school and asking grandfather how his day was...his reply was always "can't complain...can't complain."

Asking him if he wanted some jelly on his bread, then watching him just scoop a big blob from the jar and eating it straight....then going for another scoop :)

Seeing mustard on the tip of his mustache after lunch or dinner, and just laughing.

Telling him "good morning...how did you sleep, grandfather?" His reply was always that he slept "like a rock" or "like a log"

He always offered me a seat, even if I was about to go somewhere.

When I was little, he read to me Dr.Suess books while I sat on his lap.

And, going on snail searches with him and Alys in his yard.



In case you are wondering Alys....this pic was taken just hours before you got pregnant :)




Uncle Rob's grave



Here is the last pic of me and ol' grandfather together









I would miss his clever sayings...

1 comment:

Alys said...

Just in case you were wondering Aly, it was probably about a day and a half to me a little more exact.